Each of us has unique strengths, skills, and abilities that make us who we are. To celebrate the abilities of the people we support, the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities is launching the “What’s Your Super Power?” campaign. “What’s Your Super Power?” aims to educate the public about the unique abilities that everyone, including people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, brings to a community.
Is your wheelchair faster than a speeding bullet? Is your sense of humor more powerful than a locomotive? Are you able to leap over the most complex math problems in a single bound? By encouraging people to share their superpower, OPWDD strives to diminish the stigma of being different and show that everyone has strengths, skills and abilities that make them super.
To take part, everyone is invited to share their superpower on social media with postings on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter - and if you’re feeling extra creative, you can create your own superhero name!
In addition, OPWDD’s presence at the Great New York State Fair in Syracuse will feature an interactive superhero theme. Fairgoers will be offered the opportunity to identify their own superpower, pose for photos behind a superhero cutout and share their photos on social media using the hashtag #BeSuper @NYSOPWDD.
We encourage you to help spread the word by sharing this information via email and posting your own superpower and superhero name on social media.
What’s Your Superpower? Sample Social Media Posts
Use the below sample posts as a guide when promoting the "What’s Your Super Power?" awareness campaign and sharing photos of yourself showing what YOUR Superpower is. We appreciate your helping us to spread the word about this campaign which raises awareness that each person has a unique talent and promotes acceptance and inclusion of people of all abilities.
Share Your Superpower
- Everyone has a superpower! My Superpower is _______ What’s yours? #BeSuper @nysopwdd
- Promote acceptance and inclusion by sharing what makes YOU super! My Superpower is _______ and my Superhero name is ________What’s yours? #BeSuper @nysopwdd
- I’m participating in @nysopwdd’s “What’s Your Superpower” awareness campaign to remind people that each and every one of us has a unique talent. My superpower is _______. You can share yours and #BeSuper too. @nysopwdd
Show Your Support for the Awareness Campaign – For partner organizations and agencies
- Have you checked out @nysopwdd’s “What’s Your Superpower” awareness campaign? https://opwdd.ny.gov/news/superpower #BeSuper
- We think @nysopwdd’s new awareness campaign is super! https://opwdd.ny.gov/news/superpower r #BeSuper
- One of our many superpowers is sharing! That’s why we’re sharing @nysopwdd’s Superpower awareness campaign. https://opwdd.ny.gov/news/superpower Share it too and #BeSuper!