Foreclosure Prevention Unit
Are you a homeowner who:
- Is behind or late in paying one or more monthly mortgage payments?
- Has received letters or legal documents from your lender/servicer?
The NYS OPWDD Office of Home and Community Living may be able to assist you in carrying out the best possible work-out option (remain in your home) or transition option (transition to alternative housing).
Foreclosure Prevention Housing Counseling Services:
- Conduct intake to determine if OPWDD can provide assistance.
- Assess homeowners’ circumstances and explain all options.
- Develop a household budget.
- Support homeowner in the outline of a hardship letter.
- Establish the best plan of action.
- Negotiate with the lender/servicer to assist both parties in arriving at a mutually beneficial resolution.
- Work with homeowner to fully understand the terms of proposed work-out or transition options.
- Provide ongoing counseling to maintain or improve homeowner’s financial position.
- Ensure homeowners are safe from false “rescue” scams, loan modification scams, and other predatory lending scams.
- Provide referrals on an as-needed basis.
All services are FREE for the homeowner(s)
Call: (518) 473-1973
Mail: 44 Holland Avenue, 4th Floor Attention: Office of Housing and Community Living