Freedom of Information Act (FOIL) Requests
To file a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request, send your request to:
Records Access Officer
New York State Office for People With Developmental Disabilities
44 Holland Avenue
Albany, NY 12229
Requests can also be submitted by fax to 518-474-7382, or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
When submitting a request please:
- Be as specific as possible in describing the requested records. Include relevant dates, names, descriptions, etc.
- Specify whether you would like to inspect the records or have copies of the records sent to you. Inspection of records are by appointment between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
- Let us know whether you would like the records, if available, sent to you by land mail, e-mail or fax. Please note that we may choose to send you the records by land mail if you have requested a large volume of records or for security or other important reasons. We will notify you of any charge for reproducing such records before they are sent to you.
- Include your e-mail, mailing address and fax number, as well as a telephone number where you can be reached during business hours if it is necessary to clarify your request.
- Keep in mind that OPWDD is not required to provide information in response to questions which require an analysis of the information; OPWDD’s obligation is to provide existing records. OPWDD is not required to create a new record in response to FOIL requests.
If OPWDD has not acknowledged receipt of your FOIL request within five business days, contact us by telephone (518-474-7700) or Fax (518-474-7382).
For more information about FOIL, visit the Committee on Open Government