Office for People With Developmental Disabilities

Print: Print this page

SNAP Retailer/Point of Sale Terminals


Point of Sale (POS) terminals allow agencies to act as Meal Service Retailers and scan SNAP benefit cards for the individuals they serve.

Any agency that would like to accept SNAP benefits must apply for a SNAP permit and be licensed to participate in SNAP as a Meal Service Retailer.  To become licensed as a Meal Service Retailer and set up a POS terminal, the agency must first file a FNS-252-2 USDA SNAP Application for Meal Services with supporting documentation.  

Applications for OPWDD-certified residences cannot be completed online.  A paper application must be completed and mailed to the USDA.  To obtain a 252-2 application, call 312-353-6609.  The completed 252-2 application, along with current copies of the Operating Certificates, and your Tax ID verification should be mailed to the following address:

USDA – Food and Nutrition Services
3500 Wabash Avenue
Springfield, Illinois 62711

Staff at your local Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) Regional Office is available to answer your questions and advise you on program rules and procedures.  If a situation arises that you are not sure how to handle, you should always contact the FNS regional office that services your area for assistance. View a list of FNS regional office contacts.