Office for People With Developmental Disabilities

Print: Print this page

Transition for Students with Developmental Disabilities


Many students with developmental disabilities and their families have questions about what kinds of supports are available when school ends and life as an adult begins. OPWDD is working with the State Education Department, local school districts, and special education staff to assist students transitioning from school, and to help plan for the supports that will be needed in adult life. Transition planning for students should begin at age 15. The letter for families and facts sheets below  give a brief introduction to the transition planning process and provide information and links to resources that can help you get started planning:

Transition Letter For Families
Transition Fact Sheet - General Information
Transition Fact Sheet - Front Door and Self-Direction
What Should I Do With My Day?
Right @ Home: Supports at Home and Help with Housing

Transition from Local Schools

OPWDD’s transition coordinators can help students at local schools plan for OPWDD supports they may need as adults.  Download our statewide list of OPWDD transition coordinators to find contact information for transition coordinators in your area.

Transition from Residential Schools

Students at residential schools are entitled to remain at school until they complete their educational requirements or until the end of the school year in which they turn 21. Once students complete their schooling, OPWDD is responsible for their adult services, and students can only remain at school until OPWDD offers appropriate adult services. OPWDD is committed to helping students at residential schools transition to adult life by ensuring needed supports are in place when students age out of school. Age out coordinators can help students and families learn about residential support options, as well as employment and other day supports. Download our statewide list of OPWDD’s age out coordinators to find contact information for an age out coordinator in your area. 

Consent Form for Transition Planning

Student records, such as the student’s Individualized Education Plan ( IEP) and reports from assessments, can help with OPWDD eligibility determination and planning for adult services. In order for schools to share information about a student, OPWDD must have a signed consent form from the student’s parent or guardian on file. Download a consent form for transition planning that you can complete and sign so OPWDD can work with school staff to begin the transition planning process.