Paying for Services


Before you can access needed services, you will need to apply for benefits that are available to fund the supports you are seeking.  For example, if you are seeking Home and Community Based Waiver (HCBS) funded services, you will be required to apply for Medicaid and the HCBS Waiver.

You may also decide to pay for the cost of services with your own money, instead of enrolling in a benefit program.  

If you do not enroll in a benefit program, you, your spouse if you have one, parents or legal guardian (if you are under the age of 21) and any fiduciary acting on your behalf are liable for the cost of care.   



Medicaid and OPWDD Services
Most OPWDD services are provided through New York State's Medicaid program, jointly funded by the federal and state governments. Find out more about Medicaid and how to apply.
Other Benefits

Some people with developmental disabilities are eligible to receive Medicare from the federal government, including adults 65 or older or some people under 65 with a qualifying disability. Find out if you qualify for Medicare.


The Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) oversees the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) in New York State. For help with buying food and heating your home, visit OTDA's website to learn more about these programs.

Accessing Services

The first step to getting the services you need is to reach out to your regional OPWDD Front Door office