Camp Wilton is a residential summer program operated by OPWDD which serves approximately 550 people with developmental disabilities from areas across northeastern New York. One special week of the program is dedicated to people who have Prader Willi Syndrome and these campers come from all over New York State. The program consists of typical camp activities such as arts and crafts, swimming, recreation, music and drama, and various evening activities.
The program operates for nine weeks. The 2023 season runs from June 19 through August 11. The first week is dedicated to staff orientation, training, and program planning. Beginning on the second week, eight separate one-week sessions for campers are held. Between 64-80 campers typically attend each week.
About Camp Wilton
- Campers must be older than 18 to attend
- Our campers come from all over New York State and live at home, family care homes, supervised apartments, group homes and Intermediate Care Facilities.
- We try to make the camping experience accessible and enjoyable for everyone and every attempt is made to accommodate everyone’s physical, social, dietary, and other needs. Please apply only for individuals who you believe will benefit from a camp experience.
- Behavior and risk management plans are reviewed by the leadership team before acceptance to camp in order to anticipate behavioral concerns and plan accordingly. We do not provide 1:1 staffing for campers; any individual who requires 1:1 staffing will not be able to attend.
- Camp Wilton has paved walkways and four (4) cabins are fully accessible. All eight (8) cabins are ramped. All the other camp buildings are accessible.
- Our cabins are not air-conditioned and there is very limited air-conditioned space on the grounds. If the individual has temperature restrictions for 90 degrees or above, we will not be able to accept the camper.
- If the camper weighs more than 250lbs, we will not be able to accept them due to the weight capacity of our beds.
- We are unable to accept campers that require bed checks more frequently than on an hourly basis. If the camper lives in a residence that requires bed checks more than every hour and it is not to address a specific concern, a Treatment Team Leader or Administrator must provide a letter that indicates hourly bed checks are acceptable while the individual is at camp.
- We are unable to support campers that require 24-hour oxygen or who receive nutrition via tube.
Campers are given the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of activities including swimming, arts and crafts, music and drama, recreational activities and various evening events. Counselors create fun and exciting programs every summer and modify activities to the capabilities of each camper.
The camp has a large in-ground pool with steps to enter the shallow end. A lifeguard is on duty during swimming activities. For accessibility, there is a lift to transfer campers into the pool. There is also a pool alarm.
A Swimming Permission form is included in the application and is to be completed by the parent/guardian/advocate. Campers are assessed prior to swimming activities by our Red Cross certified lifeguards.
Apply to Attend Camp Wilton
- To apply, complete the Camp Wilton 2023 Camper Application and send it with the camp fee of $275 by mail to:
Capital District DDSO
3 Care Lane, Suite 200
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Attention: Camp Wilton
- Please attach all documentation indicated on the application checklist to the application. Camp Wilton is not a waiver funded program. Campers seeking to use self-direction funds to pay for camp must speak to their Care Manager to determine if these funds can be utilized.
- Complete applications should be submitted by April 14, 2023. We will only review complete applications with all documentation. Acceptance is contingent upon review of the application by the camp directors and medical staff.
- If the camper is waiting to get an updated physical exam, please include a copy of their 2022 or more recent exam and send the new one as soon as possible. We do not recommend holding an application while waiting for a physical.
- Please ensure that the contact information, including area codes for phone numbers, is complete. The acceptance packet will be sent to the camper’s address. Without complete information, it will be difficult to send the acceptance packet or contact you if we have questions.
If you have questions, please contact: [email protected] or Call 518-581-3007
Work at Camp Wilton
Applications should be mailed to:
Capital District DDSO
500 Balltown Road
Schenectady NY 12304
ATTENTION: Camp Wilton
Or Fax to: 518-370-7536
They can also be email to: [email protected]
|Position||Start Date||End Date||# of Weeks|
|Director 2||May 15||August 18||14|
May 15 (1 Position)
May 15 (1 Position)
|Camp Counselor 4||May 29||August 18||12|
|Camp Counselor 3||June 12||August 11||11|
|Camp Counselor 2||June 12||August 11||9|
|Maintenance Asst.||June 7||August 18||11|
|Keyboard Specialist||June 12||August 18||10|
|Cleaner (Laundry)||June 19||August 11||8|
- May 29 (Set up, PROMOTE refresher trainings)
- June 5-9 (Set up, PROMOTE trainings)
- June 12-16
Clean Up Week:
- August 14-18
|1||June 19-23||Adults with little or no need for support.|
|2||June 26-30||Adults with a moderate need of support|
|3||July 3-7||Senior Week|
|4||July 10-14||Adults with a high need for support.|
|5||July 17-21||Adults with PWS.|
|6||July 24-28||Adults with a high need for support.|
|7||July 31-Aug 4||Adults with a Moderate need of support.|
|8||August 7-11||Adults with little or no need for support.|
Camp Wilton Documents
75 Northern Pines Road, Wilton, NY 12831
Take exit 16 off I-87 (Northway). Go WEST on Ballard Road past the truck stop. Turn LEFT onto Northern Pines Road. (If you come to a light, you have gone too far.) Approximately 1/10 of a mile on the LEFT there is a brown sign that reads “CAMP WILTON”. This is the entrance. Follow this road past the building on the right and follow the bend to the right into the campgrounds. You will be directed to a parking area where to unload the car and register your camper.