Here’s a chance for you to make a difference!
Across New York State, people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are spending more time in the same jobs, classes, clubs and other activities as their peers without disabilities. By extending a warm welcome and offering support and friendship, we can learn from one another and grow together. Everyone needs a little support to be part of a community. Let’s plant the seeds of community inclusion and make sure people of all abilities feel welcome. A community isn’t a community unless all of its members are able to take part.
Here’s what you can do to help plant the seeds of community inclusion:
- Fill out a digital postcard on this page to help welcome people of all abilities to the community.
- Post your own Welcome video, photo or written message on Facebook or Twitter by posting a message and include hashtags #nysopwdd #welcome.
- Introduce yourself to someone new.
- Welcome people of all abilities into your business or place of work as patrons and employees.
- Invite people of all abilities to join local groups or organizations.
- Welcome people of all abilities into your place of worship.
Use elements of the attached Welcome toolkit which includes Facebook and Twitter banners, sample social media posts and a poster to hang in your window. People with disabilities, self-advocates and support staff can take part by:
- Introducing yourselves to neighbors and businesses
- Volunteering locally
- Taking part in local gardening groups to help “plant the seeds of community inclusion”